Thursday, September 20, 2012

PBS - Tempo InDepth

As the President of the Business Careers in Entertainment Club, I am always trying to plan new and exciting speakers, networking opportunities and field trips for our club members. This morning we took a field trip to the local PBS station at the Steel Stacks to sit in as the live studio audience at the filming of the Emmy Award-winning news program, Tempo InDepth. Students from several schools in the area were also in attendance for the segment, which was a 60-minute special on Diabetes. Upon arriving at PBS we took a tour of the facilities led by a Lehigh student interning at the company. It was interesting to see all of the high-tech and brand new equipment used to film and produce the show. Then it came time for the taping of the program and we got to witness all of the behind-the-scenes action.

I often struggle with how to increase attendance and participation at BCEC events. BCEC is how I scored two out of my three internships, and has helped me improve my resume, fine-tune my interviewing skills and kick-start my professional career. We provide students with so many unique opportunities that I can never understand why one would pass up a chance to expand their minds and try something new. It irks me that students will include BCEC on their resumes without ever having gone to an event. I guess that's what happens when I spend so much time and effort trying to help other students and get nothing in return! But this is just me venting (sigh). The trip to PBS was extremely fun and a great way to connect with a local business. I'm thankful that PBS was willing to partner with us and I will continue to reach out to the community to find ways to connect students to the entertainment industry.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally appreciate (and understand) your frustration. Have faith that your efforts aren't for naught - you are gaining immeasurable experience in organization, leadership and network. Keep going; you're going to be great!

    ReplyDelete