Sunday, October 28, 2012

ENT 195 campaign: BCEC

This past Thursday, Business Careers in Entertainment Club hosted its annual Student Internship Panel, As President of the club, I have previously expressed my frustration with garnering high student attendance at club events/meetings! You've heard my schpiel by now: myself and the rest of BCEC exec board spend copious amounts of time planning an event, marketing it around campus and making sure we deliver what we promise... only for a few members of the club to show up. Frustrating!!! For this month's event I invited six Lehigh students (who I know either by referral, personal relationship, etc.) with previous impressive internships in the entertainment industry, to join our panel. The companies included A&E, Spike TV, Madison Square Garden, Gilt Groupe, Universal Pictures and FOX News. I acted as the moderator of the event and prepared several questions to ask the panel:

- Where did you work this summer? What was your job title? What were your responsibilities?
- How did you get your internship (career services, family/friend connections, general application, etc.)? What techniques would you recommend to those looking for an internship (start early, update your resume, impressive interview skills, etc.)?
- Describe a typical day on the job
- What were you able to contribute at your job? Did you feel like you were an asset to your company or were you mostly running errands and getting coffee?
- What was the best/worst part of your internship?
- What were your favorite/least favorite tasks to perform?
- Did you meet any famous people in the industry?
- What important piece of advice can you give to our budding student interns to prepare them for the entertainment industry?
- What are your plans after school? Do you have jobs yet? Would you go back to the same company? Why or why not?
- What do you think the prospects are for the job market in the entertainment industry?

The event was scheduled to begin at 4:10pm, and at 4:00pm I counted a measly five members of our student audience. I had a huge knot in my stomach worrying that there would be more students on the panel than in our actual audience - terrible! But then, by some miracle chance, more and more people began to pour in. At 4:05, with a count of 15 I was perfectly pleased. Come 4:10 I almost could not believe my eyes (I even took a picture to document!) as another 10 students had filled the room. By 4:15, with a total of 45 BCEC members in attendance, we began the event. I was so thrilled and pleased at the turnout - it was our highest of any event since the club's start in 2009. It seems silly but when you put together an event through an organization that you are passionate about, you start to take it a little personally. I really believed in this event and the networking benefits for which it lent itself. Seeing other students eager to learn and help one another made me very happy.

The event ran smoothly, with all of the panelists actively participating and provding great advice/recommendations/feedback to the students. We allowed time for questions from the audience and an exchange of contact information as well. Afterward I wondered what made this event more successful than the rest, and thought about the PR/marketing strategies and techniques we had implemented. Our VP of Public Relations was in charge of submitting advertisements through the HUB, Lehigh Events Calendar, University Announcements, and Career Services Announcements. She also manages our Twitter account (although our ratio of Followers to Following is not something to be proud of!). Our VP of Marketing designed the flyers for which our exec board distributed to each of their respective locations. Beyond that we also sent mass e-mails to all BCEC members, practiced word-of-mouth marketing, and for the first time also created a Facebook event. I decided to take the idea after seeing how effective it worked for Sophia when she was promoting "Take Back the Night."
In the end I think it contributed to our spike in attendance by reaching students through a new platform.

The success of the Student Internship Panel inspired me to want to achieve that same level of success at all BCEC events moving forward. I have decide to do my ENT 195 campaign on BCEC and ways to better market it around campus, improve club awareness, increase student attendance and develop new ways to advertise. I look forward to seeing what great ideas my group and I come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment