Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Sandy - The Storm that Shook Seaside


Growing up my grandparents owned a second house in Long Beach Island and many of my friends resided in vacation homes at the Jersey Shore. Living only an hour away from the beach myself, I often made day trips with my boyfriend and sister. As a little girl I recall spending weekends at the beach with my family enjoying lobster dinners and watching the sun set. My friends and I would spend our days tanning on the beach and our nights roaming the boardwalk riding the roller coasters. Bike riding to the local ice cream shop was commonplace, and no trip to the beach was complete without an outdoor shower to rinse off after a dip in the ocean.

Everything changed with Hurricane Sandy. Childhood memories were erased and buildings and houses were broken and washed away with the waves. I never expected such destruction to hit so close to home. Many people lost their houses and businesses have tremendous costs in repairs laying ahead of them. Though recently the Jersey Shore has gained some scrutiny in the media due to shows like MTV’s Jersey Shore that feature “guidos,” “bump-its” and the phrase “GTL,” its true beauty is undeniable. Million-dollar beach properties look out onto ocean views and a beautiful bay. Happy children playing in the streets reflect the carefree energy that fills the air. You can’t help but fall in love with the Jersey Shore. The devastation of Sandy seems to have finally gained it the love and respect it has always deserved.

Fortunately Lehigh did not get the brunt of the storm. High winds and heavy rains led to fallen trees and an ultimate power loss across campus, but caused no serious damage. With regards to crisis communications, I felt the administration acted fast and smart. They informed students immediately that an ultimate decision about Monday and Tuesday classes would be announced at 5pm on Sunday. Then on Tuesday morning students were promptly alerted via texts, e-mail and Lehigh’s website that classes would be canceled for the remainder of the week. I was very impressed with the effective system the school employed to ensure student safety. With last year’s “Snowpocalypse” and this year’s “Frankenstorm” students and administration may want to prepare ahead of time for another episode of freak October weather in 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment